Songs That Remind Me Who I Am...

Wednesday, October 10, 2007


By Steve Scott
.
Several months ago, I started a playlist on my IPod called "Songs That Remind Me Who I Am". Basically, they are all songs that remind me I belong to God, that He intensely loves me, and that my only sensible response is to give him my life... every day... every hour... every moment... I listen to these songs frequently... I love to run with them. I love to listen to them in the morning when I start my day.

One of these songs is by The Postal Service, titled "A Brand New Colony". I'm pretty sure that Ben Hibbard (lead singer/song writer) intended these words for a girl... But I like to think of them as if God is singing them to me... Ben Hibbard's song writing is amazing. The images he creates in this song are beautiful and capture love in a very sweet way.
Read the lyrics below and/or listen to the song (click on the YouTube link for a homemade video some fans did)... As you listen and read, think of these words as being sung by God to you...
.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=N4h7MqeZRU8
.
Brand New Colony LyricsArtist(Band):The Postal Service

I'll be the grapes fermented,

bottled and served with the table set

in my finest suit

like a perfect gentleman.


.

I'll be the fire escape

that's bolted to the ancient brick

where you will sit

and contemplate your day.
.

I'll be the water wings

that save you if you start drowning

in an open tab

when your judgement's on the brink.
.

I'll be the phonograph

that plays your favorite albums back

as you're lying there,

drifting off to sleep... drifting off to sleep...
.

I'll be the platform shoes;

undo what heredity's done to you:

you won't have to strain

to look into my eyes.
.

I'll be your winter coat

buttoned and zipped straight to the throat

with the collar up

so you won't catch a cold.
.

(Ch) I want to take you far

from the cynics in this town

and kiss you on the mouth.

We'll cut our bodies free

from the tethers of this scene,

start a brand new colony:

where everything will change,

we'll give ourselves new names;

identities erased...

The sun will heat the grounds,

under our bare feet

in this brand new colony... this brand new colony...
.

Everything will change, Ooo ooo...

Everything will change, Ooo ooo...

Everything will change, Ooo ooo...

posted by Steve Scott
10:19 AM

3 Comments:

Blogger Andrew said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:40 PM  
Blogger Andrew said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:45 PM  
Blogger Andrew said...

For the longest time I had been confused by the lyrics, but now that I read them and really concentrate on what they mean, their importance really jumps out to me, how God is really there even in the littlest known spots such as the fire escape on the ancient brick or the water wings that save you if you start drowning.

4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home